Wyomissing Square is an award-winning $80 million mixed-use brownfield redevelopment project in the heart of Wyomissing Borough–an affluent suburb of Reading, PA. This adaptive reuse project has transformed a formerly underutilized 13-acre brownfield infill site into a thriving mixed-use community with apartments, retail, office space, and a hotel:
- 100 Park – 248-unit luxury apartment complex
- Courtyard by Marriott – 135-room hotel & business center
- Viva Bistro and Tapas Lounge – a 13,000+ SF spectacle restaurant,
- Berkshire Professional Center – 60,000 SF medical office building
- The Promenade (coming soon) – 33,000 SF specialty retail center
Wyomissing Square Mixed-Use Center was designed to be a 24-hour Live-Work-Stay-Play community. Its high density, compact urban style building form has allowed us to accommodate a variety of uses on this small infill site. This once vacant brownfield has now become pulse node of activity that has enhanced an already vibrant community with a mixed-use center that offers the kind of walkable urban lifestyle that has become increasingly popular among today’s renters & workers both you young and old. Wyomissing Square boasts a WalkScore of 80 indicating that the neighborhood is “very walkable and most errands can be carried out on foot” – a rarity in the suburbs. (click here to view interactive walkscore flyer)
John Connors of Brickstone Realty – a commercial real estate company based in Center City Philadelphia—created the template for this master planned community and recruited the “best in class” development partners to execute each component of the plan.
- JMH Management—is the original entity that brought an unmatched location to the table and provided the project with instant credibility with the existing three-time Best of Berks restaurant veteran Viva Euro Fusion Bistro anchoring The Promenade
- The Bozzuto Group—developed and manages the residential component bringing first-rate luxury living development, construction and management to the project which will be integral in attracting a fresh, thriving, professional, mixed use environment.
- Rock Creek Hospitality—is the owner/developer of the Courtyard by Marriott Reading-Wyomissing, the first Marriott Hotel in Berks County, PA
- Promenade Square, LLC—an affiliate of Brickstone Realty is the owning/managing entity of The Promenade and has is currently crafting the ideal retail mix for this 33,000 SF specialty retail component alone along Hill Ave
SMART GROWTH DEVELOPMENT
The project has been recognized as a textbook model of “smart growth” development by the Delaware Valley Smart Growth Alliance and has received $2.5 million in grants from the State of Pennsylvania for its contribution to the economic development and urban revitalization of the community. (Click for DVSGA award page) The development replaced an abandoned industrial building and has been a significant component in the transformation of the neighborhood from its industrial roots into a banking, services, and medical base economy.
Wyomissing Square is on the cutting edge of the next wave of real estate investment and development that will largely be directed towards creating or recreating “walkable urban places” (Read article by LOCUS President Christopher Leinberger) The recession has shown us that the post WWII development model of low-density auto-centric suburban sprawl is unsustainable. Cities and towns have recognized this face and many are actively working to direct growth back towards the center by offering incentives to encourage the development of urban infill projects that can make use of existing infrastructure and add to the vitality of traditional town centers.
Wyomissing Square is located at the intersection of Penn Ave & Park Rd in the Borough of Wyomissing, PA – an affluent residential enclave in Berks County with average household income of $115,000.
VF Outlet Village
It is located right heart of the Wyomissing Borough’s historic core on an urban infill site that was once a part of the Berkshire Knitting Mills. Just across the street is the 450,000 SF, 70-store VF Outlet Village one of Greater Reading’s major tourist destinations.
It serves as the Western anchor of the Penn Corridor—the 2-mile stretch of Penn Avenue that has become Greater Readings Hub for arts, dining, shopping, & culture. It is a short walk away from the one-of-a-kind boutiques, bistros, and galleries that line Penn Avenue in Downtown West Reading.
Reading Hospital & Medical Center is located on a 22-building, 36-acre site less than half a mile down Park Rd on the other side of Penn Ave. With more than 6,900 employees including some 600+ staff physicians, it is Berks County’s largest employer.
The Wyomissing Square Mixed-Use Center has been a tremendously successful endeavor thus far. The 100 Park apartments are over 95% leased and have its residents have an average annual income of some $92,000. The Courtyard Hotel has a 70% nightly occupancy rate and has become a favorite of the local business community, who often use it to conduct meetings and events. Viva bistro & Tapas Lounge continues its streak of Best of Berks honors and consistently draws more than 3,500 patrons through its doors every week. The Berkshire Professional Center office building is nearly fully occupied with administrative offices for the Reading Hospital & Medical Center.
The final component of the project is the 33,000 SF specialty retail center that will be known as The Promenade. We are hard at work crafting an ideal tenant mix that will compliment the projects other components as well as the surrounding neighborhood. We are currently in the pre-leasing phase and expect construction to begin early this summer with a grand opening by Fall 2013.